Monday, October 20, 2014

2D Visual Score


The visual score I created for my partner was centered on the fact that his instrument was predetermined to play a certain "song" since it was a computer program. His instrument was as simple as hitting enter on his laptop, which is why I included the word enter in the design. I added the words "you are not a computer" in hopes that he could try to find a way to play his instrument live rather than have the composition predetermined.
I printed the design I made on a broken printer to give the pattern, as well as to symbolize the lack of reliability in technology. I also used mostly negative space in the design as a reaction to the fact that my partners instrument was nearly silent.
It was interesting to hear my composition played because it wasn't performed by my partner, but instead by my professor on another student"s instrument. He interpreted design elements as musical notation rather than simply as text, which was never my intention with my original partner. It was interesting to see the contrast of how I imagined it would be played and the final composition,

No comments:

Post a Comment