Thursday, May 7, 2015

Final Project




My project deals with the ceaseless need of society to be generating new content. Today as more and more creative mediums like film and TV are “dumbed down” and content constantly rebooted versions of past sources, we see a rise in quantity over quality of entertainment. My piece creates an endless stream of content that creates itself and contributes to itself without a user creating new content. It uses video and audio feedback loops to make swelling waves of sound and images. I want to symbolize this reboot mentality as well as a sense that new content is unoriginal, uninspired, and a sense of the public’s mass media hypnosis.
I returned to a focus on sound and instrument electronics in this project. I am more familiar with instrument and sound electronics than maybe my peers and that is a point for my work to have its own unique voice. I used a headphone speaker and microphone to create a feedback loop that would oscillate based on motion of the speaker. The speaker was suspended over a series of magnets to keep the sound random and interesting. I would have like to taken focus away from the form of the pendulum apparatus and I would have liked it to continually move. The magnets only kept it in motion for around two minutes, I would have liked it to move for hours. The other aspect that I felt could really improve is the video quality, due to the price of webcams I could only get ones that recorded in low quality. Better quality would have made the infinite video loop more clear and go on longer. Overall this was one of my best projects in that it had strong video and audio elements though the level of refinement could be improved upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment